Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Mexican Pizza Baby

You might not know this about me, but I use to be a huge fan of Taco Bell.  I know.. gross.  But every day off campus, Al & Hatch would take me to McDonalds for Happy Meals 7 toys or Tacos & bouncy balls.  I was young, active, and had the metabolism of an 8 year old.  Life. Was. Good.  Taco Bell is just like any other Mexican food place: same ingredients wrapped up and served in different ways.  So there are three reasons I don't eat TB anymore. 1) Fast Food is kind of nasty. 2)My stomach just couldn't handle it anymore.  3)Well this is a bit more of a story to share.

About 9 years ago, my two softball teammates, Lindz & Smo offered me up a little bet.  They challenged me to get the Grande Combo of ten tacos, and eat it by myself.  I don't remember what I'd get in return, but I do know that I never got out.  So on the day of the challenge, we went to my local TB and ordered ten tacos--5 hard, 5 soft.  I was trying to figure out which would be less filling, but I don't think it mattered in the end.  The first two went down like wine.  By taco 4, I was trying to create double deckers with my hard & soft shells.  By taco 6, I was trading soft shells for hard shells.  And by taco 7, my face was legitimately turning green. I completed the task, finishing all ten tacos, and immediately walked outside and puked for 30 minutes.  You can see why I have avoided TB like the plague. 

I'd be lying if I said that was the last time I ever ate TB.  There was a few times in college that the drunk food craving got the best of me.. but even that was over 6 years ago. 

About a month ago, I was having a flashback to my favorite item on the TB menu:  the Mexican pizza.  I kept thinking how I wanted it, but couldn't bring myself to the shame of actually ordering TB.  As I was cruising around Pinterest, I was inspired by a "healthy" Mexican pizza pin.  After talking about it for a month with Taryn, we finally decided to create, what we called "The Mexican Pizza Baby."  The recipe I found is from the blog Honey, What's Cooking?



Homemade Mexican Pizza  (modified from "Honey, What's Cooking's?" Recipe)


makes 4 pizzas:
  • 1 Bag of Mission Tostados (2 pieces for each pizza)
  • 1 15oz can Old El Paso Refried Beans
  • 1/4 cup Water
  • 1 large Onion (diced)
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Taco Seasoning
  • 1 bunch Scallions/ Green Onions (chopped)
  • 1/2Jalapeno (deseeded & finely chopped)
  • 1 Tomato (chopped)
  • Taco Bells chunky salsa, medium
  • Mexican Cheese Blend - (1 bag) you can use reduced fat cheese
  • Sour Cream Reduced Fat – 1 dollop per pizza (optional)
  • Taco Bell Hot Sauce - they sell it in stores, or just steal some from TB
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil.  Heat up tostados for about 2-5 minutes for extra crispiness
  3. In a small pan, heat the beans, water, onions, paprika, pepper, and taco seasoning on low heat for about 10 minutes (or until its thoroughly warmed up).
  4. Spread the bean mixture over one of your tostados and a thin layer of salsa. 
  5. Add the other tostado on top.  Add a bit more salsa, tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos (as desired).
  6. Cover with cheese and pop back into the oven for about 5-10 more minutes (until the cheese is melted).
  7. Add a dollop of Daisy (sour cream) and smother with TB hot sauce.
WaaLah! Heaven.  I think Taryn and I moaned after every bite.  Then we had to walk an extra lap after dinner to recover from the Mexican baby we just manhandled.  This dinner was so easy and delicious.. all the Mexican ingredients wrapped up in a different way.  And the best part.. I don't have to show my face in Taco Bell to get the goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment