Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jumpstart for Swimsuits

Yesterday on a radio morning show, the question was posed, “If you could stop doing one thing, without it being a social catastrophe, what would it be?” Some listeners were saying plucking eyebrows (agree), brushing teeth (gross), applying makeup (no! so fun!), and so on. One listener said dieting which caught the host’s attention and she agreed saying that she has been on a diet since she was 12. For so long I have associated so many negative thoughts with that term because people make it seem unhealthy (which it can be if you make it that way.) When I hear the word diet, I always think someone trying to lose weight by following a special plan/program, but that’s not really what this woman meant. Dieting is just being aware of the things you are putting into your body, and is actually healthy. The male co-host agreed and supported my newly enlightened definition by saying, “Well dieting also promotes your health so would you really want to give that up?”



For many women, including myself, there’s a never ending struggle with weight. Every female that you ask would probably agree they “could lose 5-10lbs.” I am by no means overweight or feel unhealthy, but fall into the “I could lose 10lbs” club. With spring coming up, and two bathing suit vacations upon me, I decided to jump start my diet I decided to do try this GM 7 day detox that I found on a blog.

 The detox was supposed to have you waking up 10-17lbs lighter on the 8th day. Fail. But you can see why I wanted to try. Right? I’d be right where I wanted, and all I’d have to do is maintain. Well, I’m sure this detox works if you have a little more weight than me to lose and if you eat a lot of crap daily. Since the basis of my diet is fruits and vegetables already, and I work out quite rigorously, this diet dropped me a whopping 3 lbs.


Well, I didn’t get the results I wanted, but I did learn a little about myself. I need a plan, a well thought out plan in order to execute. Without one, that handful of gummy worms gets me every time. And if you are anything like me, one little lapse of judgment and it the whole day is shot; Try again tomorrow. So for the past two weeks I’ve been planning out my meals for about 4 consecutive days which allot for something extra delicious every day (even dining out and wine.)


Another thing I learned from the GM detox is that I need to be full. On the GM detox, you were allowed to eat specific foods every day, but you could (almost) always eat as much of each food to satisfy you. I know that seems silly to fill yourself up on a diet, but YOU CAN feel full on the right foods and still lose weight. The secret? Lots of lean protein. I’ve been adding lots of hardboiled egg whites, grilled chicken breasts, chickpeas and hummus into my weekly plan.


I am not an expert on weight loss or the GM detox or any other fitness & health programs, but I’ve tried the detox and was able to find a tidbit of the motivation I need to get me started.


What do you do to jumpstart or reset your body?

No comments:

Post a Comment