Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Boys Night Out vs Girls Night Out

I have a lot of guy friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. Throughout high school and college, there was always an open door policy to go out with the crew. There were so many people it was just easier to consider yourself invited to every event than to get a personal invite (if you can even remember life prior to facebook).


Last January, the boys decided to throw a boys-only party for the Bears/ Packers NFC Championship Game. Some of you may be thinking this is legit because its football and what girls watch football? Some of you, like me, would understand how upsetting this is because you do like football (even moreso than some of the guys invited to this homogenous party.) Needless to say, this boys party left us girls to fend for ourselves with a bit of hostility, which consequently kept many of us on bed rest the following day. The point isn't that we cannot have fun without them, but what year is it that football viewing is only for men?


The reason I bring this up from the past (and partially because I'm still a little bitter) is that we are upon yet another male dominated sports playoffs known as March Madness, and I find myself in a similar situation.


The double standard lies within this thought.. boys have boys nights and girls have girls nights. Typically, females hate boys night and men could care less about girls night. Here's why. A man does not want to be alone amongst a pack of females. What do girls do on girls night? Drink wine, talk shit, laugh at inside jokes, go to plays/musicals. Boys are happy not have to partake in any/all of these events.


A guys’ night most likely includes: beer, cards, sports, and take out. Do girls want to be a part of this? No. But we are sensitive beings aren’t we? And if we aren’t having fun, no one should be having fun. I think there are many satirical sitcoms that make fun of this exact fight and always show the husbands & boyfriends lying to their wives & girlfriends about their whereabouts because they want some time with the boys, but their wives wont allow it. Right?


I think my problem with guys’ night is that I have always been very much like “one of the guys”. I preferred Matchbox Cars to Barbie Dolls. I beat up boys on the playground. I’d play street hockey with the neighborhood boys. So when it’s guys night, I’m not used to being discluded.Now that I can also enjoy the girlie things in life like shoes, shopping, wine, and shoes, I need to accept that sometimes the boys just need their time just as the girls need their time.
I guess when you look at the broad spectrum of things, it makes sense. Let’s hope this girls outing goes better than the football debacle.

Question: What do you like to do for girl’s night?

No comments:

Post a Comment