Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shock the Body

Do you ever get super excited to get into a workout routine?? Or is that just me? Okay, I’m a little nuts, but I like my physical activity. It helps me sleep at night. According to my double shin splints and inflamed knee, I think I’ve definitely been working my body hard, but I’m not exactly doing the right things to get the results I want. (I think that’s mostly because of my snacking more than my workout routine, but still…) So what’s best for your body?

All trainers, weight loss programs, Biggest Loser type TV shows, and workout videos will tell you that the best way to lose weight is to shock the body. Do something your body doesn’t expect. Often when people begin a workout routine they may see an instant change in their body. After a month or so, they start to plateau because the body is not being challenged as it was in the beginning. I can vouch for this because once long, long, ago I was merely an athlete, definitely not a runner. Sprints I could handle, but I cringed when our coach made us run 1-2 miles at volleyball practice.

Well then I went off to college and had no form of ritual exercise. I ran here and there, and walked everywhere, but it wasn’t enough. When I transferred back home, I took up running in my free time. 30 minutes a day. I wasn’t running to get in shape or lose weight, nor was it this big plan of, “I’m going to start running next week.” It was just something active to do. Without expecting or really trying, I lost my college pounds and thinned out. Well now, just over 8 years later (God, I’m old) I’m still running. But running 30 minutes a day just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

Since January, I’ve been following Hal Higdon's Advanced Half Marathon Training Schedule. The cool thing about this ½ marathon training schedule is the plan mixes up my runs. One of the best things you can do for exercise is interval training. Spike your heart rate up for a few minutes and then let it rest for a quarter of that time. (ie intense exercise for 2 minutes, rest for 30 seconds.) Some of the runs include 30-45 minute tempos and fast-pace/ sprint running for ¼ or ½ miles and then a slower ¼ or ½ mile for 3-6 miles. The goal was to improve my mile time, which I am, but more importantly, I’ve actually enjoyed training with the variety of runs—and my running partner also keeps it interesting.

Since running alone isn’t beneficial and my old body is falling apart on me, I try to incorporate other activities into my workouts. My favorite add-on exercise has been yoga. I have been going to Core Power Yoga for almost two years now. I try to go 2-3 times a week, but sometimes other events get in the way. Core Power Yoga offers a variety of classes at locations all over the city and now even some suburbs. (Still hoping they get a Schaumburg studio soon!!) My favorite class being yoga sculpt which I do on my strength training days (2 times a week).

The final piece to my workout regiment, and most convenient: workout videos. These are honestly the best way to work out (especially in the winter). You don’t have to leave your house, and you are guaranteed to work muscles your body isn’t expecting you to. Personally, I am lost in the gym. I hate figuring out what machines work which muscles, and I always do less than I’m supposed to. Workout videos keep you moving, and best yet, they build strength with cardio so you’re sculpting lean, toned muscles rather than big and bulky ones. Some of my favorite workout videos are:
10 minute solution:
    -Blast Off Belly Fat (6 different ab workouts, 10 mins each)

Jillian Michaels:
    -No More Trouble Zones (Circuit training with weights 60 mins)
    -6 week 6 pack (45 mins of abs),
    -30 minute Shred-It with Weights (3 levels of difficulty, 3 circuits with 3min strength, 2  
    min cardio, 1 min abs.)(approx. 30 mins)
 Turbo Jam:
    -Cardio Party (Dance out your cardio)(approx 40mins)



    -Ab Jam (10 mins of standing abs, 10 mins of mat abs)

When I’m in the zone, I usually get in a 10 minute solution video in the morning and work in the other videos as needed. They’re a great substitute when I’m too lazy to leave the house to go for a run or a yoga class, or I put off my run til it’s too late to be running alone on the streets of Chicago.

This is a pretty typical workout week for me, but being on vacation can mess up your schedule (as it should.) So I have a week back on track before I’m back on vacation for Brett & Kari’s wedding.

Tuesday- 10 minute Abs video & 3 mile interval run—6 x 400 meters sprints
Wednesday – 4 mile run & yoga sculpt
Thursday –20 minutes of abs, 10-K (aka 6 miles)
Friday – Yoga: HotPowerFusion & 30 minute tempo run
Saturday—Sculpt
Sunday – Rest (& eat lots of salt because I gave it up for Lent)
Monday—3 mile run, 6wk6pk
Tuesday – 4mile interval run 4 x 800 meter sprints
Wednesday – 10 min abs, 4 mile run (given I’m packed)

Make a plan for the week & try it out!! Last week I hiked A LOT! It was an amazing change. Try something new. Tell me something new to add to my workout routine. I love hearing about other physical activities that people enjoy.

8 days til my next vacation =)



No comments:

Post a Comment