Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Teacher Appreciation Week

Today wraps up another successful teacher appreciation week.  We teachers are truly spoiled this week by our parents (at least I can speak for the elementary teachers in my district). At my school, the students and parents provide us with flowers, cards, candies, desserts, breakfasts and lunch, and awesome raffle prizes throughout the week.  It is a very thoughtful and well-put together week that shows that the parents and students (mostly the parents) appreciate their child's teacher. 


Now, I know many of my friends are groaning and griping about another "luxury" of being a teacher.  Of course I am referring to those same people who say we have too much vacation time, don't work long enough hours, and just get to play with kids and go on field trips every day.  Well the purpose of this particular post is not to argue or defend those points with you.  I love my job, but not for any of those (misconceived) reasons listed above.  It's this week that reminds me why I do what I do; Why I put so much time and effort into work day in and day out. It's for the kids and for the parents who are trusting me with their kids. 


Many of my friends who criticize my work don't have children.  My only friend with a kid made it a point to call me and wish me a happy Teacher Appreciation Week.  This doesn't upset me at all, but it's very telling.  You can't truly appreciate teachers until you have kids.  When you have kids, you give your precious child to teachers for 6 1/2 hours a day, and trust the teachers to nurture them, teach them, and protect them from all of life's harm.  This is a lot pressure for us teachers.  Teachers probably spend a like amount of time with students as students spend with their parents.  Actually, it is not uncommon for a student to mistakenly call me "mom."

This week, parents go out of their way to thank teachers because we have successfully attended to their child's every need.  We've cleaned up cuts, tied shoes, saved tears, listened to countless long winded stories, fostered friendships, problem solved, reads to and with, and above all, keep their babies safe and,happy as they grow into the next stage of their life. 

One day (my friends without children) you too will appreciate the people who are extremely important in your precious little darlings life.  (Or you will be the parent that thinks teachers do nothing and question our every decision.  It will be a rough going for them. )

A big thanks to all those who already appreciate us teachers, and made our week so special. 
A different set of flowers from all my students =)

No comments:

Post a Comment