Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Sweet Home Chicago

Well United Airlines did not make this easy on me. They stuck me in DC for 7 hours instead of 3. Thanks a lot! If I had known that, I would have left the airport!! At least I got to use my cell phone, which was really weird. But I would soon find that almost everything normal would feel weird.

Of the first few weird things included: Being able to order tap water at a restaurant, paying in dollars & paying tax, sending a text message (though I have not lost my skills), hearing people talk to me in English. When I ordered my salad, I forgot that I could actually customize it because they can understand me!

I finally boarded the plane, and easily passed out in the first few minutes after takeoff. When I woke up, I was seriously delirious. (Mind you that when we left DC, my body felt like it was 230am, and it had not slept yet.) I heard the pilot say, “We will be beginning our descend to Chicago,” and I had no idea where I was, and why this man was speaking English to me. I have also been on so many planes this past month that when I realized I was on a plane, I didn’t know where I was flying to. As soon as I regained consciousness, the most genuine smile spread across my face and I was so excited my heart was racing.

And Chicago returned the smile to welcome me home:

I literally raced through through the airport (though it was pointless because the bags weren’t out yet.) And finally got to kiss Giorgio for the first time in 20 days. =)

Sadly, on the drive back, I realized how dirty and unpretty this city is in comparison to the rest of the world. That’s okay though, that’s what vacation is for, and this is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment