Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Avon Walk: In it to end it

Sometime around February, I thought I should do the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  I was hesitant because you are required to raise a minimum of  $1,800.  But a few weeks later, still going back and forth, I just went for it and signed up.  I tried convincing my sister and she too was nervous about taking on such a huge fundraising task.  Well I took the plunge anyway, and within one week of sending an email out to all my friends, family, and coworkers, I met my goal.  Overwhelmed by everyone's generosity, I urged my sister to create her own donation page so I could have some extra support on the trail.  And she did it too!  Together we raised an astonishing $5,065.00.

So 39.3 miles is really far.  I knew this going into it, but being a runner I know that you get everywhere faster if you run than walk.  Walking is not my ideal form of exercise or entertainment though I do enjoy a good walk now and again.  If we want to talk about my training.. it didn't happen.  The most I can say about my training is this: Thank God I didn't run my half marathon 2 weeks ago.  That's about the only prep work I'd done..  I'd say, despite my injuries, that I'm in pretty good shape so I was banking on that to get me thru this 2-day marathon and a half.

Things were going pretty well for the first leg of the day.  Kim joined us for a quick walk along the lake. (Thanks friend!) But at the mile 10 mark (the lunch stop), I needed to be wrapped up. My knees were not agreeing with the situation at hand.  By mile 20.. Jamie and I were falling apart both physically and mentally.  It was at that point I decided that no human being should be traveling 26.2 miles by foot (running or walking).  We had a nice long rest break and medical care at mile 20 and set our sights on our guest walkers at mile 21: Giorgio &Taryn.


Crossing the finish line the first day was pretty emotional, personally.  I felt like the hard part was done and could not even begin to understand how my legs would recover in order to do it again tomorrow.  The night wasn't easy either.  I do not know how people spent the night in a tent after day like that. Me.. I went home to a glass of wine, two ice packs, a shower, comfy bed, Jerry's Sandwich, and our personal masseuse (THANKS Heather!) and still.. was not feeling confident about another 13.1 miles. 

Day 2 was just as tough as you'd imagine.  But when you gotta do something, you just do it.. and we did.  The support and encouragement along the way from the people who lined the street and the 2,800+ walkers on our path was inspirational and gave us the strength (blisters & bum knees in all) to cross the final finish line. 

 Every walker had their own motives.   Some were breast cancer survivors themselves, others lost loves ones or are supporting someone who is still fighting, and some walk to help find the cure before it affects someone in their life. But no matter the back story, the distinct message and purpose was simple:  In it to end it.  Find the cure so women, men and families no longer need to suffer.

This was one of the toughest experiences I have been through.  Undergoing such a difficult challenge makes me think about how that mental and physical struggle that I just went thru pales in comparison to the fight against cancer.  The walk reminded me how strong my Mom was, not just for 2 days but for years.  It reminds me that life is full of challenges is, but with love, support, and hope, you can beat the odds. I cannot thank everyone enough for their support, text messages, likes on facebook, and donations that made this event possible for ME.   


This past weekend, I was one of the 2,800 walkers who came together in Chicago to walk 39.3 miles and raise $6.3 million dollars to help end Breast Cancer.  And though I'm still sore, I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment